Building Permits

2020 International Residential Code:
“Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, shall first make application to the building official/department and obtain the required permit.”


PLEASE NOTE: Work exempt from Building Permits may still need a Zoning Permit:



1.        One-story detached accessory structure provided the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet. 

            (Mayer requires a Zoning Permit for all accessory structures- garden sheds ect.)

2.        Fences not over 6 feet high.  (Mayer requires a Zoning Permit for Fences under 6’ high)

3.        Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting            a surcharge.

4.        Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons and the ratio of height to diameter or                width does not exceed 2 to 1.

5.        Sidewalks and driveways not more than 30 inches above adjacent grade and not over any basement or story below.

6.        Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.

7.        Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches deep.

8.        Swings and other playground equipment accessory to a one- or two-family dwelling.

9.        Window awnings supported by an exterior wall.



For electrical permits call or schedule online with DLH Inspections (David L. Hucky State Contract Electrical Inspector) at 952-442-2761 or

email him at



1.        Portable heating, cooking or clothes drying appliances.

2.        Replacement of any minor part that does not alter approval of equipment or make such equipment unsafe.



1.        Portable heating appliance.

2.        Portable ventilation appliances.

3.        Portable cooling unit.

4.        Steam, hot or chilled water piping within any heating or cooling equipment regulated by the 2000 International Residential Code.

5.        Replacement of any minor part that does not alter approval of equipment or make such equipment unsafe.

6.        Portable evaporative cooler.

7.        Self-contained refrigeration systems containing 10 pounds or less of refrigerant or that are actuated by motors of 1 horsepower              or less.



The stopping of leaks in drains, water, soil, waste or vent pipe; provided, however, that if any concealed trap, drainpipe, water, soil, waste or vent pipe becomes defective and it becomes necessary to remove and replace the same with new material, such work shall be considered as new work and a permit shall be obtained and inspection made as provided in the 2000 IRC.


The clearing of stoppages or the repairing of leaks in pipes valves or fixtures, and the removal and reinstallation of water closets, provided such repairs do not involve or require the replacement or rearrangement of valves, pipes or fixtures.



Emergency Repairs:


Where equipment replacements and repairs must be performed in an emergency situation, the permit application shall be submitted within the next working business day to the building official.




Application or notice to the building official is not required for ordinary repairs to structures, replacement of lamps or the connection of approved portable electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles.  Such repairs shall not include the cutting away of any wall, partition or potion thereof, the removal or cutting of any structural beam or load bearing support, or the removal or change of any required means of egress, or requirements; nor shall ordinary repairs include addition to alteration of, replacement or relocation of any, water supply, sewer, drainage, drain leader, gas, soil, waste, vent or similar piping, electric wiring or mechanical or other work affecting public health or general safety.


Public Service Agencies:


A permit shall not be required for the installation, alteration or repair of generation, transmission, distribution, metering, or other related equipment that is under the ownership and control or public service agencies by established right.